January 19, 2014

WOR Radio Was Reluctant To Bring Howie Rose Back

Per a report by Bob Raissman of the New York Daily News, the Mets radio broadcast almost went through significantly more change than the shift from WFAN to WOR.  It is believed that many at the station were hesitant to bring back broadcast fixture, Howie Rose.  In fact, it was the Mets themselves who made sure Rose remained the radio voice of the Mets.

Ed Coleman will remain the WFAN beat reporter, but serve no other purpose on the radio and it is also believed that Josh Lewin will remain on the broadcast, but neither has been afforded any type of long-term guarantee of employment.

1 comment:

  1. This is disappointing news. I was hoping much of the core Met's broadcasters would come over to WOR. When I heard that Eddie C was not coming over, I thought it was his decision, not WOR's. Now to hear that someone at WOR didn't want Howie Rose. This stinks of some ego at WOR who wants to make a name for himself.

    I stopped listening to FAN about 6 years ago, but I was an avid listener going back to 1984 and WHN when the biggest Mets radio show was "Hot Stove League" hosted by Howie. As FAN got more Yankee/Francesa centric, I stopped listening and tivo'ed the games.

    I was looking forward to the switch over to WOR and being able to listen in the car again to my favorite Mets radio hosts. This news starts things off on a sour note.

    I don't trust Raissman's. Hoping this is may not be true. We'll see if someone else reports it.

    ReplyDelete