January 9, 2014

If Piazza Did Do Steroids, Would You Really Care?

The title of this post is a hypotheical question... I am in no way accusing or speculating that Mike Piazza used PED's. But let's say some sort of damning evidence came out and proved that Piazza did use PED's, would it really bother you that much? Would you think any less of him after giving his heart and soul to this team for 8 years? I sure as hell wouldn't.

For a while I was against supporting proven PED users. Then it dawned on me one day, who am I to judge these guys for doing what they do? What these guys put in their bodies is their business. It really has no effect on my everyday life. The difference for many of these guys between bagging groceries or not having generations of their families ever to have to worry about money may be a needle in the ass. And frankly, I don't blame them for going down that road. I'd like to say I wouldn't do it, but I can't. The thing that pisses me off is when they lie about it.

I wouldn't think anything less of Mike Piazza if he was a juicer. The guy went from being drafted in the last round to becoming an all time great. If it took a little help along the way, then so be it. He did what he had to do. And just so you all know, sticking a needle in your ass doesn't mean all of a sudden you can hit a 95 MPH fastball, or you can read a breaking ball and lay off of it. He still had to put in the work to become a better player day in and day out. He still had to overcome to daily grind of being a catcher in August.

Baseball is entertainment. It's a game. That's it. We watch because we want to be entertained. I'm not advocating cheating. But you know what, if a current Met failed a test, then oh well. I'd be more pissed he got caught rather than that he did the PED's. They're still on my team, then I'm still gonna root for them. If they're free agents and they would be better than what the Mets have, sign 'em. If the Mets won a World Series during the steroid era, it wouldn't mean any less to me if cheaters were on that team. Same goes for right now.

So really, I want your takes on it. If Mike Piazza did take steroids, how would you feel? Hit me up on twitter @GetsThruBuckner

2 comments:

  1. I'd care. Let's keep steroid cheats out of baseball and out of the Hall of Fame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The title of this post is a hypotheical question... I am in no way accusing or speculating that Mike Piazza used PED's. asia pharma

    ReplyDelete