January 29, 2014

The 5th Spot in Mets Rotation

I was reading over @ metsblog that John Lannan is geared up and ready to go for spring training. He will compete for the 5th spot in the rotation with Daisuke Matsuzaka, Jenrry Mejia, and others. Lannan grew up on Long Island and is quoted as always wanting to sign with a New York team. He grew up a Yankee fan so wondering if that statement was being politically correct or he really wants to be here.

Assuming Mejia is healthy it should be interesting to see how this all shakes out. I have always liked Lannan as a back of the rotation starter. His ERA has always been where it should be for someone in that role with a slight decline over the last couple of years. I don't think that last year was any indication of what he is capable with the injuries he had.

Whoever lands the job I think as Mets fans we don't have many concerns over the starting rotation. Personally, I would like to see Mejia win the spot. He has shown flashes of potential and that he belongs in the big leagues. Based on last years small sample he showed that he can be a starter its just a matter of staying healthy. Dice K started off rough and finished well. The problem I have with him is he works so darn slow. I wonder if that bugs his team mates? I can assure you if he does crack the rotation my mlb.tv account won't be in use on the days he takes the ball.
Follow me @jwil25


No comments:

Post a Comment