March 30, 2014

Now it's for Real

Opening Day is just over 24 hours away, the team has arrived in New York and after a rough Spring Training physically and media wise the Mets are looking to turn the page and get off to a good start.  Traditionally the Mets have thrived in openers but they are looking down the barrel of my pre-season favorite to win the NL East and the howitzer that is the right arm of Stephen Strasburg.  Dillon Gee will toe the rubber for the Metropolitans and excuse me if this doesn't get my fan juices flowing.  I like Gee, a lot; he is a great middle of the rotation guy, excellent control with solid movement on his pitches.

Of course this should be Matt Harvey's start but Mr. John claimed that from us last summer.  I want to be excited, I want to get pumped up and jump around but for the first time in 34 years of life I have successfully tempered my emotions.  I have succumbed to rational thought and reason.  This season will be another in a seemingly long line of mediocre ones.  I would sign for 80 wins right now and take my chances that Harvey returns to form sooner than later, Wheeler finds more control and consistency and Syndergaard actually is Thor.

All these lovely dreams and desires aside reality sets in and you realize that Washington is poised to win the division, a Braves team without Medlen and Beachy is still more than formidable, Miami may just surprise all of us with their young talent and Philadelphia, while an aging veteran team, still knows how to play and will win their share of games on experience alone.

Where does this leave our beloved Metsies?  I'm not entirely sure but its time to man up, forget the excuses and talk about the youth that is yet to come.  No day but today, time to put up or shut up.  90 wins, 85 wins or 80 wins serious improvement on the whole needs to be seen this season or their may not be too many fans willing to show in 2015 for Matt Harvey part deux.

2014 prediction, 79-83, 3rd place in the NL East.

Happy Opening Day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment