August 31, 2013

No Stars To Align

Call me crazy, but at some point a long disappointing season can wear even a die hard fan down. As
many of you know, I'm an out of market fan. As such, whenever the Mets visit the district my wife and I make sure to attend at least one game each series. This series will be no different, but I chose instead not to take advantage of a pretty rare opportunity.

As I looked over my ticket options for tonight's game, I came across a disillusioned Nationals season ticket holder. Two rows off the Mets dugout within an arm's reach of the on deck circle. But for $100 per seat?

I did the math in my head.. It is Wheeler Day, and I'm yet to see either he or d'Arnaud play in-person. Not only that, but I'd be close enough for Terry Collins to hear my arm chair coaching criticisms.  I'd also be close enough to snag (and then promptly hand over) a ball destined for a young fan. But still, for $100 per seat?

This would certainly be a no brainer in Queens, but in DC you can snag very good seats from the Nationals directly for as little as $20. It becomes tough to justify dropping another $160, plus food and beverage, plus parking and transportation, when there just isn't anyone I have to see up close.  Maybe that makes me a terrible fan in the eyes of some, but without Harvey or Wright there simply isn't much must see talent for the Metropolitans right now.

This is something the Mets should, and I expect will, address this winter. It's also only fair to note that there is plenty of star potential in many of the youngsters on the roster now, who are only starting to mold their raw talent into major league form. But for now, with nothing to play for but pride and the best players the Mets have to offer on the disabled list, this is one Mets die hard who will save his pennies for a better day, because right now.. the Effing Mets just aren't worth it.

**Like what you've read? You can follow me on Twitter at @RobPatterson83 and also catch this post and many others over at MMO.**

No comments:

Post a Comment